Super Size Me director admits harassment
Award-winning US documentary maker says he has engaged in sexual misconduct, admitting: "I am part of the problem."
The Super Size Me director tweeted late on Wednesday night that in the past he'd been accused of rape, had settled a sexual harassment lawsuit, been unfaithful to wives and girlfriends and made sexist remarks in his workplace.
"As I sit around watching hero after hero, man after man, fall at the realisation of their past indiscretions, I don't sit by and wonder 'who will be next?' I wonder, 'when will they come for me?'
"You see, I've come to understand after months of these revelations, that I am not some innocent bystander, I am also a part of the problem," he wrote.
Spurlock's representatives did not immediately respond on Thursday to a request for comment beyond the tweets.
In recent months, a number of high-profile men in entertainment, politics, the media and business have been accused of sexual misconduct or assaulting women, and some of them have been fired or forced to resign.
Spurlock, 47, wrote that about eight years ago he settled a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by an assistant he had called "hot pants" or "sex pants" in the office.
He said that he had been "unfaithful to every wife and girlfriend I have ever had," and that he has had a drinking problem for 30 years.
"By recognising and openly admitting what I've done to further this terrible situation, I hope to empower the change within myself. We should all find the courage to admit we're at fault," Spurlock wrote.
Spurlock won several awards for his 2004 documentary Super Size Me, in which he ate only fast food from McDonald's for a month. His other documentaries include Where in the World is Osama bin Laden in 2008 and The Greatest Movie Ever Sold in 2011.
© RAW 2017
Image: Dennis Van Tine/STAR MAX/IPx