Local anglers are being congratulated on their co-operation during the first Spanish mackerel protective closure along the north Queensland coastline.
The ban ran from October 22 to November 12, and there were no reports of non-compliance during that period.
Deputy director-general of Fisheries and Forestry Graeme Bolton says the closure has been a success so far.
“During this first closure period, the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol conducted more than 200 checks on commercial, recreational and charter fishing boats and only had to issue a couple of warnings but no infringement notices,” he says.
“That’s a tremendous outcome and is testament to the willingness of fishers to work with us to ensure the sustainability of stocks.
“By observing these brief closures, we can safeguard spawning aggregations, reduce fishing pressure and allow depleted stocks of this species to rebuild.”
The closure spans the area from Stanage bay right up the east coast, including off Mackay, Townsville and Cairns.
The next ban will come into effect from November 21 and run until December 12, 2022.
A similar southern closure will apply to east coast waters, south of Stanage Bay, beginning in February next year.