Severe Thunderstorm Warning for damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall has been issued for people in Wide Bay and Burnett and parts of Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Darling Downs and Granite Belt, Southeast Coast and Maranoa and Warrego Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms developing over the southeastern quarter of the state.
Weather Situation: A moist and very unstable airmass east of a surface trough over central Queensland will produce extensive thunderstorm activity across eastern parts of the state this afternoon and evening.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Kingaroy, Biloela, Esk, Imbil, Kilcoy and Nanango.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:20 pm.