There may be smoke around the region today, as hazard reduction burns take place within the Shoalwater Bay Training Area.
Queensland’s Fire and Emergency Services say smoke is currently affecting the area from Stanage Bay to Yeppoon.
Locals are being reminded to be cautious on the road as there may be low visibility, and to close up their homes if they are affected by smoke.
What you should do:
- Stay inside and close windows and doors.
- Keep respiratory medication close by.
- Follow your bushfire survival plan now. If you do not have a bushfire survival plan. Make one on the QFES website.
- Avoid driving through smoke if you can.
- Watch out for firefighters working in the area.
- Do not fly drones around the fire or in the warning area. This can block air operations.
- No properties are at risk.
- Smoke can make it hard for some people to breathe.
- Smoke can make it hard to see when you are driving.
- Some roads may be closed.