Latest News

National News

Fire ban as NSW braces for a scorcher

fire-ban-as-nsw-braces-for-a-scorcher.jpg

Total fire bans have been declared for much of NSW as residents are warned to prepare for hot and windy conditions.

Conditions on Wednesday will be difficult for firefighters with RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons warning residents to prepare their homes, follow their bushfire survival plan and remain vigilant.

The RFS has declared total fire bans for nine regions - the Greater Sydney, Greater Hunter, Central Ranges, Illawarra/Shoalhaven, New England, North Western, Northern Slopes, Southern Ranges and Southern Slopes regions.

Strong south-westerly to westerly winds coupled with the ongoing heat means the landscape is very susceptible to fire, Mr Fitzsimmons said in a statement on Tuesday.

Temperatures are expected to reach 41C in Moree and Walgett in northern NSW and Muswellbrook in the Hunter region.

Penrith in Sydney's west and Tibooburra in the state's far northwest are forecast to reach 40C.

Landholders, homeowners, businesses and travellers need to seriously consider how they could be affected and start planning now, he said.

"Use today and tonight to have a discussion about what you will do if a fire starts near you, so everyone in your household knows your bushfire survival plan," Mr Fitzsimmons said.

Earlier this week the Mount Canobolas fire near Orange in the state's central west threatened homes and prompted two Emergency Warning alerts. The fire has burnt through more than 1100 hectares of land.

© AAP 2018

Image credit: AAP Image/ Darren Pateman

You may also like...