Latest News

National News

SA COVID cluster traced to quarantine case

Nicola Spurrier 20200527001470594007 600x400

A returned traveller who arrived from overseas on November 2 has been confirmed as the source of a coronavirus cluster that is growing in Adelaide.

The number of cases linked to the Parafield cluster climbed to 20 on Tuesday.

But one more positive infection is still being investigated and authorities have concerns for 14 other people who are showing symptoms.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said testing of genetic material from the Parafield cluster had officially been linked to the traveller in hotel quarantine.

It's also been confirmed that it spread into the community after a cleaner at the Peppers Hotel came in contact with the virus, most likely on a surface, and then infected members of her family.

As a result, all those in quarantine at the hotel have been told they will be moved and may be required to start their 14-day isolation period again.

"We understand the frustration of the guests and we thank them for their assistance as we take every required step to prioritise the health and safety of all South Australians," SA Health said in a statement.

"We phoned guests before providing written information to them about the move and additional information will be provided once more details are confirmed."

SA Health said the hotel would be thoroughly deep cleaned to allow it to continue as a quarantine site in the future.

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said of the people being moved to a new location, some considered low risk would be allowed to do so by themselves while others would be escorted by health officials.

SA also suspended all international plane arrivals planned for this week, to ensure enough space was available to quarantine locals who needed to isolate in relation to the current cluster.

So far more than 4000 people have been either taken into quarantine or asked for home isolate because of the Parafield cluster.

© AAP 2020

Photo: South Australian Chief Public Health Officer Dr Nicola Spurrier (AAP Image/David Mariuz)