Man randomly stabbed in Sydney hospital
Sydneysiders are being assured the city's hospitals are safe after a man was randomly stabbed in the back while waiting to be treated.
The 45-year-old was in the triage area of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital at Camperdown late on Tuesday night when he was attacked by a woman.
He underwent emergency surgery and is in a stable condition.
The 29-year-old woman was arrested and remains under police guard in hospital, where she will undergo a mental health assessment.
Investigators don't believe the attack was targeted or provoked.
The man had been brought in from a hospital in Wagga Wagga for unrelated treatment, while the woman had arrived by ambulance from a home in Concord.
Sam Bendall, from RPA's emergency department, said the incident was "unpredictable" and "isolated".
"I don't think it's reflective of the way the Prince Alfred's emergency department operates every day," she told reporters on Wednesday.
"We deal with aggressive patients routinely and we're well set up and well supported for that."
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard described it as a "very unusual circumstance" and was probably unavoidable.
"The initial advice was that there was a full complement of staff and security staff don't believe much could've been done last night to avoid the situation," he told reporters.
He noted the NSW government last year ordered a review of security at public hospitals and would respond to any recommendations once complete.
The stabbing has prompted calls from unions and the NSW opposition for more security at hospitals.
Labor has promised an extra 250 staff if elected.
"While details are still emerging, the incident reminds the community of the need to improve security at hospitals - especially in emergency departments," opposition health spokesman Walt Secord said in a statement.
"This is about protecting patients, doctors, nurses and health workers in our health and hospital system."
© AAP 2019