Killer Ivan Milat back in Sydney hospital
Notorious serial killer Ivan Milat could soon be transferred to intensive care at a Sydney hospital as he fights terminal oesophagus and stomach cancer.
Corrective Services NSW said the 74-year-old was moved to a secure annex at Sydney's Prince of Wales Hospital on Friday but reportedly took a turn for the worse on Monday night.
Appropriate security was in place, a spokesperson for Corrective Services said.
Milat has been undergoing chemotherapy since first being diagnosed in May.
The former road worker was sentenced in 1996 to seven consecutive life sentences for murdering seven backpackers whose bodies were found in makeshift graves in NSW's Belanglo State Forest in the 1990s.
In a three-page handwritten letter dated July 11 and sent to The Sun Herald, Milat claimed he was innocent of the deaths.
The convicted killer said his life since being arrested and sentenced had been devoted "wholly to prove my innocence...(and) the court judiciary who conspired to obscure the miscarriages of justice".
"I am sure that you are aware of how cancer is, it's a grim finding and less than fifty per cent survive it and, I feel that the unpredictability of the effect of the treatment would overtake any commentary by me of it," Milat writes in the letter published in August.
"It is in the hands of my carers (doctors etc) and of course, Our Lord in Heaven."
Milat was found guilty of murdering Melbourne couple Deborah Everist, 19, and James Gibson, 19; German traveller Simone Schmidl, 21; German couple Anja Habschied, 20, and Gabor Neugebauer, 21; and British friends Joanne Walters, 22, and Caroline Clarke, 21.
© AAP 2019