Cate Blanchett and Shakira Among Impressive List of Earthshot Prize Judges
Prince William has launched a £50 million environmental prize that will make five £1 million awards each year until 2030 to solutions to environmental problems.
A council of campaigners, diplomats and celebrities will decide on the environmental prizes.
"This global Prize Council is made up of leaders from environmental, philanthropic, business, sporting and entertainment worlds, and together they will award The Earthshot Prize to five winners, one per Earthshot, whose evidence-based solutions make the most progress towards these goals," says Instagram account @earthshotprize.
Here's the impressive list of members on the Earthshot Prize Council:
- Prince William
- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah
- Dani Alves – professional footballer
- Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala – economist and international development expert
- Cate Blanchett – actor, producer and humanitarian
- Jack Ma – philanthropist, entrepreneur and UNSDG Advocate
- Indra Nooyi – business executive and former Chairman & CEO of PepsiCo
- Naoko Yamazaki – former astronaut onboard the International Space Station
- Christiana Figueres – Former UN climate chief, responsible for the landmark Paris Agreement on Climate Change
- Sir David Attenborough – broadcaster and natural historian
- Shakira – singer and philanthropist
- Yao Ming - Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer and environmentalist
- Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim – environmental activist
Every year from 2021 until 2030, this panel will award The Earthshot Prize to five winners, whose evidence-based solutions make the most progress.
The ‘Earthshots’ are simple but ambitious goals, underpinned by scientifically agreed targets, focused on climate, nature, air, oceans and waste.
"People can achieve great things. And the next ten years presents us with one of our greatest tests - a decade of change to repair the earth," says Prince William.
Find out more about the Earthshot Prize here: earthshotprize.org